[theora] Extension .v+ogg does work

S. A. A. Allen manager at atshop3d.com
Sat Oct 21 18:10:32 PDT 2006

Hi All,

Being my first post on the mailing list, I would like to say "Great Codec,
tweak it up Scotty".

However, I would like to say that the extension should both notify that
the Theora and Vorbis codecs are being used. Many times I have downloaded
an *.OGG file and found out that it's Theora encoded with MP3, or MPEG
1/2/4/Whatever video with Vorbis audio. How annoying. All I want to do is
put the CD in any Linux OS and play the flaming video. Any similar
experiences?

So I always say "Hey, check out this Theora Vorbis video!", even though
its extension is *.OGG. All videos I post use the same format. Go
ffmpeg2theora! At the moment, I can only suggest for files to be named
*.tvv or *.otv, or anything, as long as the "tv" is there for *BOTH*
Theora *AND* Vorbis.

Also some programs, especially archive and download managers, go bonkers
when non alphanumeric characters are introduced in to the extension. A
bug? Maybe. More like a "security" feature that didn't get in to the final
user manual.

However, this part of the file will be absolutely critical, since a unique
extension would make shell integration and life a lot more easier,
especially for non open-source users who send OGG files through their
audio player and wonder what the $#@& is going on. Even I got baffled,
expecting all OGG files to be Vorbis exclusive.

--Sam.

--
S. A. A. Allen
http://www.AtShop3D.com/