[theora] What will be the future of Theora?

Yorn yorn at gmx.net
Thu Nov 2 08:41:05 PST 2006

Am Donnerstag, 2. November 2006 14:29 schrieb Luis Gonzalez:
> I have take a look at SVN and i don't see activity into Theora since June
> when alpha7 was released , is Theora development stopped?.
>
> Also ffmpeg2theora the last version 0.16 is from February and the last
> version of Theora was released in June , will be a ffmpeg2theora new
> version soon?
>
> Other question , in SOC there was a project to make Theora hardware decoder
> , which was the result?
>
> Another good request is that xiph develop a theora multiprocessor encoder
> library.
>
> Last , i see there is a lack of programs to edit Theora , not to convert to
> Theora or play Theora , i mean programs to cut Theora files , join Theora
> files , add Theora files ...

As I learned a lot about theora the last months, I hope to find some time to
write some command line tools to split and join theora files (including
vorbis ;-)).

I also wrote a small patch for ffmpeg2theora for different framerates,
however, J seams to be busy, so this is not applied to svn yet!? I have some
more ideas in my pipeline e.g. keeping aspect ratio and add black borders,
when having a resized film etc.

Third, I started a project for a webcam recorder (under linux), which actually
supports theora/vorbis encoding (only), but this is _very_ alpha, any help is
appreciated ( http://developer.berlios.de/projects/qwr/ ).

Actually there is a lot of other stuff keeping me busy ... however, there is
activity ;-)

Yorn