[Theora] Re: Snipping the beginning off Theora files

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Sun Oct 30 03:39:42 PST 2005

pat cito wrote:
> http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/theora/2005-September/000983.html

Thank you for this, Pat. The advice in that message is to use oggz-tools
which I have downloaded and read the manual of. I have come to the
conclusion that it was not designed to do what I am wanting to do with
it. It seems able to pull parts of a bitstream based on serial number or
the type of stream (Vorbis, Theora etc.) but it does not seem able to
output from a time to a time or anything. What I am hoping for is
something like:

cropogg --outputfile [path] --begintime 10:03 --endtime [end / 1:23:00]

But perhaps I am being overly optimistic. I suppose that I could try to
identify the serials of the first 20 minutes of pages and then use it,
but it seems a very difficult way to do something quite common and
simple. Theoretically all it needs to do is cut the first 20 mins of the
data stream while leaving the three(?) headers intact, or writing new
headers for the new stream (I believe that an ogg file missing the first
20 mins of the data stream would still be a valid file if the headers
were intact).

Thanks for your help and please let me know if I am just missing how to
use oggz-tools properly.

Aaron

--
http://www.whitehouse.org.nz