[Theora] Other extension for Ogg Theora then "ogg"

Ivan Popov pin at konvalo.org
Sun May 8 10:41:37 PDT 2005

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 07:47:10PM +0300, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:
> When the theory doesn't correspond to the real world it's the problem of
> the theory, not the world. The file managers run associated programs

> different programs to play sound and video (me too). So the "ogm"
> extension is the real solution, whatever the theory says.

Alexander,

I regret but it is not a solution as (in _practice_) it means other things
than Wikipedia wants to put in the files.

There are unfortunately no simple solutions for a situation
where different participants follow different rules.
It is so with interpretation of the suffixes.
It can not be done "right" more than for a certain point of view.

For yourself .ogm might be the most comfortable choice.
It does not necessarily mean it is right for Wikipedia, as its consumers
have certainly very differing views of what a certain suffix means.

For at least one consumer - myself - .ogm definitely does not mean
"a Theora video". That may change when most of the files with such suffix
will in fact contain Theora video (now, in reality, they contain
different stuff).
Still, I will never have a certainty that the publisher of a file
has the same idea of the suffixes as myself (or my file manager).

Essentially it is a very aged and incomplete approach to rely on file name
suffixes, That's why protocols like http include the contents type
specification separately from the object name.

Regards,
--
Ivan