[Theora] Second game ever to use Theora!

Agustin Cordes agustin at nucleosys.com
Tue Oct 5 12:02:04 PDT 2004

Hi Alen,

Sorry for taking so long to reply. To encode the videos first we used
Huffyuv (http://neuron2.net/www.math.berkeley.edu/benrg/huffyuv.html),
which is a YUV-format lossless-compression codec. Indeed, working with
raw files isn't convenient at all, not every media player supports it
and the sizes are HUGE. Then encoding them with Theora is very
straightforward using their sample encoder and ffmpeg. Take a look at
the following command line:

ffmpeg_g.exe -i %1.avi -f yuv4mpegpipe - | encoderwin.exe -v 10 -o %1.ogg -

(Note this works on Windows but the syntaxis is similar on Linux)
"%1" should be replaced with the name of your video file encoded in
Huffyuv and "encoderwin.exe" is the compiled encoder sample found in the
alpha3 distribution of Theora. This will compress the video with the
highest possible quality (and still resulting in a small file, thank you
very much Theora).

It seems there's a similar tool now on the frontpage but I havn't tried
that yet.
Let me know if you need any further help,
Agustin