[Theora] servers available _now_ .

neil morris neil at adm1.ph.man.ac.uk
Sun Nov 14 14:40:35 PST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:

> Yes, but the client will have to install VL ... You know how non-geek
> people ar lazzy ...
> It's easier for them to install the Winamp Plug-in, and then watch the
> stream with Winamp (my watchers are helly lazzy)
>
> Or is it possible to watch the stream with Winamp (WA + Theora Plugin)
> though it's served by VL? And peercast? I guess only the Fluendo and
> Icecast-kh served stream are watchable that way ... Am I wrong ?

For what it's worth on the Windows platform:

After a number of client tests on low end hardware (PII 333mhz) I've
concluded that at the moment the best client I've found is
RealPlayer10 using the Xiph Theora and Vorbis plugins, image quality
is noticably better than VLC(v0.8.0) and stream handling is also
more solid. Server used was Linux Redhat 9 running Peercast, test's
were done in both it's direct ICY mode and indirect PeerCast mode.
Reception tests were done across the UK's Internet to clients on
NTL and TeleWest ISP's broadband networks.

Neil