[Theora] servers available _now_ .

neil morris neil at adm1.ph.man.ac.uk
Mon Nov 8 11:32:02 PST 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:

> Hello :-)
> I had a look at the servers that can stream Theora.
> I saw that ffmpeg was greatly appreciated.
> What's your opinion ? Is there any chance that IceCast can do it (What
> source would be used? Ices?) ?
> I really want to support Xiph products.
> I saw that page
> http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Apps/AV/video-streaming-servers.html
> but it's a bit old now, may be things have changed :-)
>
> Well, I'm looking for a server that can stream Theora ... :-)
> Have a nice day !
> --

Hi,
I've had quite a bit of success using Peercast in both the Linux
and Windows version, Linux version running under Redhat 9 has been
rock solid for a few months now. The Peercast software is interesing
as it supports both direct connections as an Icecast Server and
also Peercast connections to form a Peercast P2P Net. The streams
I have been serving with it are Pure Ogg Theora video/Vorbis audio
it works a treat. A 250k loop is currently up in the Peercast
Yellow pages, yp.peercast.org their main site is www.peercast.org.
All their stuff is open source so you can either build yourself
or download precompiled.

Best Regards
Neil.