[Theora] Slowdown on lots of motion

Stan Seibert volsung
Mon Jun 21 19:43:12 PDT 2004

<200406181229.17283.jkintree at swbell.net>
<40D752ED.2000800 at xiph.org>
<200406212121.29889.jkintree at swbell.net>

John Kintree wrote:
> On Monday 21 June 2004 04:28 pm, Stan Seibert wrote:
>
>>(Disclosure: I produced the Honey theora files.)
>>
>>I also see significant slowdowns at the 720x480 frame size.  I have an
>>Athlon XP 2500+ w/ 512 MB of RAM and a reasonable HD.  It looks like a
>>theora decode optimization issue, which will hopefully be worked out soon.
>

> Thank you for giving us a sample file to evaluate the current status of the
> theora codec.
>
> Suggestion: while a full-length video (88 minutes) is nice in a way, shorter
> samples might actually be better.  The download times would be shorter.  Even
> with BitTorrent improving the efficiency of the download, shorter samples
> would be another way to keep the data transfer expense for the server at a
> reasonable level.

That's what the CC films (2 minutes or less) are more geared toward.
The Honey video was more of an experiment in distributing full length
movies.

> Since a trailer of "Harry Potter 3: The Prisoner of Azkaban" can be seen in
> RealVideo 10 format at
> http://www.realnetworks.com/products/codecs/realvideo.html
> and in VP6 format at: http://www.on2.com/vp6_samples.php3
> the ideal evaluation of theora would be in comparison with those other
> formats.
>
> I don't know where to begin to get permission to distribute that trailer in
> theora format, but if no one else is working on getting that permission, I
> would be willing to try.  If permission is received, is someone prepared to
> produce the theora files of that trailer?  Stan?
> John

Trailers are a good idea.  We are actually working on getting permission
to distribute a trailer or two, though aren't going to be
blockbuster-grade movies like Harry Potter.

(P.S. I have added the list email on the To: header because it appears
the list manager isn't setting the Reply To header.  Just a word of
warning to anyone else getting bitten by this.)

---
Stan Seibert