[Theora] trying to encode from dvd using mplayer

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Mon Dec 13 02:04:19 PST 2004

> I tried to rip my dvd using your technic (mplayer -vo yuv4mpeg etc)
> but I get HUGE files with it. Something like 35Gb for 30 minutes of
> video in *.yuv, too much for my HD. Is there an other way to rip dvd
> to theora?  I was thinking about using transcode to mpeg2 and
> ffmpeg2theora the mpeg2 file. What do you think?

You aren't talking about something illegal, are you :)

The trick is to output the yuv4mpeg-stream into a pipe (fifo) that is
concurrently read by encode_example, so no temporary files will be
needed:

rm stream.yuv
rm stream.wav
mkfifo stream.yuv
mkfifo stream.wav

mplayer -vo yuv4mpeg -nolirc -benchmark -nosound dvd://1 &> mplay.vid.log &
mplayer -vo null -vc dummy -benchmark -nolirc -ao pcm \
    -aofile stream.wav "$@" &> mplay.aud.log &
encoder_example -a 3 -v 6 stream.wav stream.yuv > theora.ogg

I would really recommend changing some encoding parameters in the
sourcecode of `encoder_example.c' :

  ti.keyframe_frequency=3*64;
  ti.keyframe_frequency_force=4*64;
  ti.sharpness=2;

Especially with `sharpness=2' I get a *much* better quality at the usual
ripping bitrate (500-800kbit).  Wit this I usually manage to put more
than 150 minutes of DVD-resolution video onto a 700 Mb CD without
noticable artefacts (better than anything I achieved so far with
libavcodecs mepg4-codec).

If you want to use ffmpeg2theora, just rip the DVD's MPEG2 video-stream
to your disc (will tak 4-8GB)

mplayer -dumpstream dvd://1
ffmpeg2theora stream.dump ...

David