[Theora] trying to encode from dvd using mplayer

zikzak at tele2.fr zikzak at tele2.fr
Sun Dec 12 21:36:52 PST 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:34:37 -0800 (PST)
pat cito <oggtheora at yahoo.com> wrote:

>I tried to rip my dvd using your technic (mplayer -vo
>yuv4mpeg etc) but I get HUGE files with it. Something
>like 35Gb for 30 minutes of video in *.yuv, too much
>for my HD. Is there an other way to rip dvd to theora?
>I was thinking about using transcode to mpeg2 and
>ffmpeg2theora the mpeg2 file. What do you think?
>
>Thanx in advance
>
>Pat

Hi Pat,

I use a simple script to encode my DVDs with OGG Theora :

======================================

#!/bin/sh
mkfifo -m 0600 stream.yuv stream.wav
mplayer dvd://1 -ao pcm -aofile stream.wav -alang en -vo null -vc null -quiet&>mplayer-audio.log &
mplayer dvd://1 -vf crop=xxx:xxx:xx:xx,scale,hqdn3d -vo yuv4mpeg -ao null -nosound -quiet &>mplayer-video.log &
encoder_example -a 2 -v 5 -o DVD.ogg stream.wav stream.yuv

You have to modify the crop option, the alang option and use the righr DVD title then wait for the result.
Of course you will need mplayer to be compiled with OGG Theora support.

Regards
--
ZikZak