[theora] Codec Information

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Sep 25 05:29:54 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 01:32:52PM +0200, Prodoc wrote:

> I'm currently working on a project to create some order in the video
> codec chaos and for the completeness of the information I've got a
> couple of questions about the Theora codec. I realize I'm a bit early to
> add the Theora information while it's still in Alpha stage but I figured
> the base won't be changing anymore (atleast not a lot anyway).

Sounds like a useful resource. What's the URL?

> - What FourCC code(s) is (are) being used for Theora movies?

None at the moment. We don't recommend avi as a container format, and
(as far as I know) no one has implemented such a thing.

> - Can you give a a "general" description? (MPEG-1, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4
> based? Compressor, Decompressor? Etc.)

It's not based on any of the MPEG standards. The motivation for theora,
as with all the xiph.org codecs, is to produce a multimedia format that
can be used in perpetuity without royalty or licence fees on the
technology. Theora is based on On2's VP3 format.

The reference implementation includes both an encoder and decoder.

> - Is there already a fixed URI for a direct link to the codec
> info/download page?

Not specifically, but http://theora.org/ should work for the medium
term.

Hope that helps,