[theora] A comparison of VP3, and two MPEG-4 variants

Ole Tange tange at tange.dk
Mon Mar 24 04:14:17 PST 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Ralph Giles wrote:

> I've also got a lot of progressive dv footage. If there's a real need I
> can looks for some good test clips. Most of it just suffers from not
> being very interesting.

It ought to be easy to render some interesting stuff using a 3D-renderer
(E.g. POV-Ray). If we use some rendered stuff under a free license then
anyone will be able to reproduce and verify the results. The rendered
stuff should of course be encoded in a lossless format (or rendered on
demand) to avoid recoding artifacts.

I am thinking of stuff like Fiat Lux http://www.debevec.org/FiatLux/
except I have not been able to find the source files under a free license.
And maybe FiatLux is not really "interesting" from a encoder's point of
view? Does anyone know of such stuff? Does anyone know people who are
capable of creating such stuff?

--
If some genie offered you three wishes, would not your first one be,
"Tell me, please, what is it that I want the most!"