[theora-dev] [Cortado] How to support seeking in on-the-fly generated Theora stream?

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Mon May 23 08:25:03 PDT 2011

On 05/23/2011 11:07 AM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> Last I tested client side seeking worked
> absolutely fine in it.

I don't recall Cortado having any support for seeking if the server
doesn't support byte-range requests, as in this case.

I think the proposed use case is essentially to permit client-side-only,
backwards-only seeking when accessing servers that do not support
byte-range requests.  It seems to me that implementing such a feature
might be possible, and David is on a somewhat reasonable track, although
oggz_chop[1] would be much easier.  Oggz_chop controls will also be
necessary anyway for forward seeking, so implementing the caching first
seems like premature optimization.

To make local-cache seeking work, I would recommend following the seek
event model used in gstreamer [2], as Cortado is essentially a clone of
gstreamer.

[1] https://github.com/kfish/liboggz/blob/master/apache/oggz-chop.conf.in
[2]
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/pwg/html/section-events-definitions.html#section-events-seek