[theora-dev] [Cortado] How to support seeking in on-the-fly generated Theora stream?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon May 23 08:07:59 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 10:31 AM, David Schueler
<david.schueler at wapkamera.de> wrote:
> Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote on 05.23.2011 02:54:33 PM:
>
>> The solution to this is pretty simple:  Disable the cortado controls.
>> Provide your own controls. When the user seeks change the URL being
>> played, encode the location in the URL, and have the server side seek
>> based on this.
>>
>> The metavid's use of oggz-chop did this and it seemed to work okay.
>
> Hello Gregory,
>
> this looks to me that nobody is interested in a support for seeking on
> client side, which i cant understand. On a site with hundereds of videos
> the traffic should not be underestimated. And seeking and delivering the
> data every time produces more traffic than transporting the data only once
> which gets buffered on client side.
>
> I know it's easier to work around a problem, than fixing it.
> So is nobody fit enough for looking over the code and give me a hint? :-(

I misunderstood what you were looking for—   What version of cortado
are you looking at?  Last I tested client side seeking worked
absolutely fine in it. I only suggested otherwise because I thought
you weren't interested in keeping the transcoded-on-the-fly output.