[theora-dev] [Cortado] How to support seeking in on-the-fly generated Theora stream?

David Schueler david.schueler at wapkamera.de
Mon May 23 07:31:24 PDT 2011

Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote on 05.23.2011 02:54:33 PM:

> The solution to this is pretty simple:  Disable the cortado controls.
> Provide your own controls. When the user seeks change the URL being
> played, encode the location in the URL, and have the server side seek
> based on this.
>
> The metavid's use of oggz-chop did this and it seemed to work okay.

Hello Gregory,

this looks to me that nobody is interested in a support for seeking on
client side, which i cant understand. On a site with hundereds of videos
the traffic should not be underestimated. And seeking and delivering the
data every time produces more traffic than transporting the data only once
which gets buffered on client side.

I know it's easier to work around a problem, than fixing it.
So is nobody fit enough for looking over the code and give me a hint? :-(

David