[theora-dev] [Cortado] How to support seeking in on-the-fly generated Theora stream?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon May 23 05:54:33 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:44 AM, David Schueler
<david.schueler at wapkamera.de> wrote:
> The problem is that the data is generated on the fly. So there is no
> buffering possible on the server. I want to keep the traffix on the server
> low, so the best practice is to transfer all data to the client, which can
> seek in its buffer. For example Flash does the same.
>
> So i think doing HTTP Content-Range requests and holding the data buffered
> on the server is no option for me.

The solution to this is pretty simple:  Disable the cortado controls.
Provide your own controls. When the user seeks change the URL being
played, encode the location in the URL, and have the server side seek
based on this.

The metavid's use of oggz-chop did this and it seemed to work okay.