[theora-dev] [Cortado] How to support seeking in on-the-fly generated Theora stream?

David Schueler david.schueler at wapkamera.de
Mon May 23 05:44:18 PDT 2011

Tom Sparks <tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au> wrote on 05.23.2011 02:16:11 PM:

> I think byte-range serving[1] would be easy to do
> or use Chunked transfer encoding[2]
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_serving
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chunked_transfer_encoding

Hello Tom,

thanks for your reply.

The problem is that the data is generated on the fly. So there is no
buffering possible on the server. I want to keep the traffix on the server
low, so the best practice is to transfer all data to the client, which can
seek in its buffer. For example Flash does the same.

So i think doing HTTP Content-Range requests and holding the data buffered
on the server is no option for me.