[theora-dev] encoder_example input formats

Unga unga888 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 5 05:03:13 PDT 2007

--- Ralph Giles <giles at xiph.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 09:20:56PM -0700, Unga
> wrote:
>
> > Please forgive me if this offend people but it
> seems
> > ffmpeg2theora is a one-man work. I prefer a
> serious
> > tool for serious work from a community supported
> > organisation like xiph.
>
> I certainly agree. The reason you don't see such a
> tool
> are two-fold.
>
> 1) It has so far been *less* than one man working on
> such
>    a thing. Thus ffmpeg2theora is the best general
> option,
>    despite being a "one-man work". This is also not
> strictly
>    true since ffmpeg has an active community of
> developers,
>    and this the the complex part of the tool.
>
> 2) The vast majority of video formats people want to
> encode
>    from are patented, and as such Xiph cannot
> provide an
>    official tool which supports them. MJPEG is on of
> the
>    few exceptions to this, of course.

Ralph Giles, thanks for the reply. Hmmm...I think I
forgot the patent issue. May be its because my focus
was converting raw video footage to Theora.

Another reason I worried was whether the ffmpeg2theora
converts the camera raw video to some lossy
intermediate and then convert from there to Theora. If
that is the case, its a double loss, final video may
not be as clearer as a direct conversion.

Anyway, congratulations for the Theora beta1. Hope to
see the v1.0 soon.

Best Regards
Unga