[theora-dev] encoder_example input formats

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Oct 4 22:52:53 PDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 09:20:56PM -0700, Unga wrote:

> Please forgive me if this offend people but it seems
> ffmpeg2theora is a one-man work. I prefer a serious
> tool for serious work from a community supported
> organisation like xiph.

I certainly agree. The reason you don't see such a tool
are two-fold.

1) It has so far been *less* than one man working on such
   a thing. Thus ffmpeg2theora is the best general option,
   despite being a "one-man work". This is also not strictly
   true since ffmpeg has an active community of developers,
   and this the the complex part of the tool.

2) The vast majority of video formats people want to encode
   from are patented, and as such Xiph cannot provide an
   official tool which supports them. MJPEG is on of the
   few exceptions to this, of course.

Sincerely,