[theora-dev] Blog post about Theora and MSVC assembly

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sat Dec 22 17:44:00 PST 2007

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 01:00:06AM +0100, Nils Pipenbrinck wrote:

> Anyway, is there any good reason not to use the SSE-instructions as
> well? I doubt that anyone would even try to decode a theora file on a
> Pentium-MMX 200 these days. Those parallel average instructions are
> tempting.

Portability is important, and remember that ARM has MMX these days too.

But there's nothing wrong with also having SSE versions. An earlier
attempt is here:

  http://svn.xiph.org/branches/theora-playtime/lib/x86_32_vs/

Zen wrote quite a few more; those are just the ones that were
significantly faster.