[theora-dev] Blog post about Theora and MSVC assembly

Nils Pipenbrinck n.pipenbrinck at cubic.org
Sat Dec 22 16:00:06 PST 2007

Hi folks, me again.

Just finished porting the decoder fragments using the MMX intrinsics.

I had a look at the assembly output and the generated code is anything
but stellar. I'll do some benchmarks later on to see if it's worth to
rewrite the code in assembly. With a bit of luck even the intrinsic code
will be dense enough to sustain the MMX pipeline.

Anyway, is there any good reason not to use the SSE-instructions as
well? I doubt that anyone would even try to decode a theora file on a
Pentium-MMX 200 these days. Those parallel average instructions are
tempting.

  Nils