[Theora-dev] Answering myself re:couple of other questions

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Mon Mar 14 03:43:07 PST 2005

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 11:14:43PM -0700, mail-lists+theoradev at dogphilosophy.net wrote:
> As to the first - I see OggWrit, and that it depends on libogg2.  How
> backwards-compatible is libogg2, and is the the only way to add (text)
> subtitle streams to ogg?  How widely supported is this or any other mechanism
> for including subtitles in Ogg Theora?

I'd hazard to suggest that your best atm is to use a CMML logical bitstream.
CMML is designed specifically to work with Ogg Theora, and provides timed
metadata and hyperlinks as well as basic subtitles.

CMML is supported in a few existing players including xine, vlc, and
DirectShow based players on windows, and a mozilla firefox extension is
available for windows, mac and linux (x86 and ppc so far, though you could
try building it for other architectures).

We have developed a few tools to work with cmml, and with ogg files
containing cmml. These include cmml-validate, anxenc, anxrip, oggzinfo,
anxgrep (my favourite -- search for regex's in the cmml in ogg files, list
files containing matches to a pattern in the subtitles, etc) and an apache
module (mod_annodex) for merging cmml metadata on the fly. You can find all
of these at http://www.annodex.net/

there are also some gui tools and scripting interfaces (perl, python,
for cgi etc.) in development.

CMML works with Ogg, so whether you use libogg1 or libogg2 is irrelevent.
libogg2 offers lower memory usage, but in all other respects is similar to
libogg.

Some links:

http://www.annodex.net/TR/draft-pfeiffer-cmml-01.txt
http://www.annodex.net/software/libcmml/html/
http://www.annodex.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?query=anxgrep

It's all Ogg, it's all good.

cheers,

Conrad.
annodex.net -> just a bunch of ogg hackers