[Theora-dev] Answering myself re:couple of other questions

Arc arc at Xiph.org
Sun Mar 13 22:52:43 PST 2005

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 11:14:43PM -0700, mail-lists+theoradev at dogphilosophy.net wrote:

> As to the first - I see OggWrit, and that it depends on libogg2.  How
> backwards-compatible is libogg2, and is the the only way to add (text)
> subtitle streams to ogg?  How widely supported is this or any other mechanism
> for including subtitles in Ogg Theora?

OggWrit hasn't been implemented yet because libogg2 isn't being used in
mainstream yet.  OggWrit, being a discontinuous codec, requires support
that libogg1 cannot currently provide (and given that it's soon to be
obsoleted, will likely never provide).

However, if you wish, you can implement it in libogg1 for decoding.
It's really the encoding that support is missing for, decoding can be
hacked pretty easily.

--

Diversity is the Fuel of Evolution,
 Conformity it's Starvation.