[Theora-dev] FPGA implementation

John Kintree jkintree at swbell.net
Thu Nov 18 13:30:42 PST 2004

On Thursday 18 November 2004 02:57 pm, Andrey Filippov wrote:
> I believe I really am on schedule, design seems to fit in the FPGA both in
> resources ( will use around 65-75%) and timing. For the coding itself ...

Wow. Thank you for that more detailed update, Andrey.

Some readers of this list might be interested to know that the FPGA  being
used in the Elphel model 333 network camera is a "Xilinx Spartan 3 1000K
gates" chip.

I think I saw a press release at the Xilinx web site dated about a year ago
that mentioned the price of the Spartan 3 1000k FPGA to be $12.

There is a press release dated November 8, 2004 that announces the release of
lower power FPGAs, the Spartan-3L family.  The 1000k gates member of this
family has a price of less than $14.  Xilinx also mentions in this press
release that they have "shipped over 100 million Spartan Series devices."
http://www.xilinx.com/prs_rls/silicon_spart/04123s3lfamily.htm

That is mighty sweet.
John