[Theora-dev] FPGA implementation

Andrey Filippov theora at elphel.com
Thu Nov 18 23:04:17 PST 2004

John, thank you for the info on the new low power Spartan3L. Unfortunately
it will not help much as the most power goes to dynamic part - actual
switching of the registers. And when I compared the datasheet for the 3
quiescent currents (for different supplies)  - they do not differ much -
40ma/1.5mA/25mA (for Spartan3) and 30mA/2.0mA/25mA (Spartan3L). The most
important innovation "hibernate" mode won't help either - the network
camera is powered through the network cable (according to IEEE802.3af - up
to 100m) and I'm interested in fitting in the available power at maximal
activity, not "hibernating" as in battery-powered systems.

The prices - they all like to put the values for hundreds of thousands
pieces - Spartan3-1000K gates in small quantities is $73. But who knows -
maybe having Theora running in the hi-res camera will make it a real
alternative to current analog security cameras and that will help going to
much higher volumes.