[theora-dev] Updated VP3 Document

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Mon Mar 1 18:24:54 PST 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Arc Riley wrote:

> VP3 needs to be documented as well, of course, but one of the big things
> holding back the beta release is documenting the format.  I'm sure
> everyone would love it if you wanted to complete this spec into a Theora
> spec yourself :-)

        That is the direction I was moving in...slowly...once the VP3
bitstream format and decoding process is fully documented, it shouldn't be
too hard to write down the minor variations used to create Theora. Though
I realize that for completeness, I will have to document the minor
variations between different Theora versions as well.

> I'm also working on completing Dan's python decoder, which is another
> form of documentation.  I think having both is important, and the python
> implementation as an example is a great idea IMHO.

        No argument. The more documentation, the more examples, and the
more different people explaining the same concepts, the better.

--
	-Mike Melanson