liboggz (was Re: [theora-dev] lib-multiogg)

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Mon Mar 1 16:51:35 PST 2004

Hi all,

I've been working on a library called liboggz for a while now.

Features:

  * handles multiple codec streams
  * for reading, it can seek across multitrack/multi-codec streams,
  * for writing, it interleaves with packet queuing
  * for seeking convenience, transparently parses theora, speex, vorbis
    headers without requiring linking to those libs (ie. for server use)
  * simple callback based open/read/close or open/write/close API
  * strict adherence to bitstream spec -- writes can fail if you try to
    write illegally structured packets
  * fairly complete API documentation
  * fairly complete test suite
  * BSD style license

it's pretty reliable by now; we've been using it in a few projects for
annodex.net, though it's a generic ogg library with no codec dependencies.

it's available at:

  http://www.annodex.net/software/liboggz/

I'd suggest getting the cvs version, 0.8.0 was released about a month
and some little bugs were fixed since (of course :). The docs are also
available online:

  http://www.annodex.net/software/liboggz/html/

oh and it comes with oggzdump and oggzdiff tools for hexdumping and
comparing hexdumps, which are useful if you're hacking bitstreams :)

enjoy :)

Conrad.