[theora-dev] Updated VP3 Document

Arc Riley arc at xiph.org
Mon Mar 1 11:54:51 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 11:00:04AM -0700, Mike Melanson wrote:
> > Also, I don't remember if anyone ever asked before, do we have
> > permission to incorporate pieces of this document (with attribution)
> > into our own Theora bitstream spec.?
>
> 	Hmm, I thought I was writing the Theora bitstream spec...:)
> Anyway, sure, go ahead and use it with attribution. I noticed that there
> is still a reference in the doc for the GNU Free Documentation License. I
> thought I got rid of it, but it's on my TODO list now. The rest of my
> documents are GFDL; then again, no one cares about those. If this spec is
> useful to you, go ahead and use it.

Well note that Theora isn't strait-up VP3.  There are changes.

VP3 needs to be documented as well, of course, but one of the big things
holding back the beta release is documenting the format.  I'm sure
everyone would love it if you wanted to complete this spec into a Theora
spec yourself :-)

I'm also working on completing Dan's python decoder, which is another
form of documentation.  I think having both is important, and the python
implementation as an example is a great idea IMHO.