[theora-dev] lib-multiogg

Arc Riley arc at xiph.org
Sat Feb 21 22:07:16 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 12:36:08AM -0500, Daniel Holth wrote:
> As ogg gains more codecs, moving forward into the brave new world of
> multi-codec streams, the cutting edge cannot press forward effectively
> without a way to abstract out many of the parts of dealing with
> multi-codec ogg streams.   It's tricky to get these things right.  Every
> program that uses ogg needs a reliable way to find out when chained
> streams begin and end, which codecs a given stream contains, and so on.

Monty has been talking about writting OggFile as part of libogg2, but
progress on this has been... slow.  I agree that any multi-codec library
at this point would be a huge benefit to us all, and IMHO the lack
thereof is a large chill-factor towards non-Vorbis adoption.

It'd be great to see atleast something in place right now for
multicodec support, even if it requires modification to add additional
codecs (no plugins, but keeps the same client API).  If OggFile ever
comes into existance it'll surely be better and worth switching to, but
I don't think we should let the plans to write it prevent an
less-complex alternative which can be written sooner rather than later.

Do you have an API for this yet?  You were talking about this yesterday
but if you have code already it'd be great if you could share and get
some feedback on it.