[theora-dev] theora.org website proposal

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Mon Feb 23 09:36:19 PST 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:58:11AM -0300, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:

> It would be better to finally leave the eternal alpha state and achieve
> bitstream freeze before this, don't you think? IMO holding this because
> of the formal spec is hurting Theora for more than one year. No one
> could finish the python spec, and no one wants to work on the HTML one.
> Is it sensible to insist on holding beta status and bitstream freeze for
> this?

Well, I agree the delay has not been good. On the other hand, there were
major complaints about the undocumented status of the vorbis format when
we had a well supported reference implementation and a commitment to
bitstream backwards compatibility. So you can't make everyone happy no
matter what you do.

However, through the generous support of fluendo.com, I've got some
funding to complete the spec and get us to a frozen bitstream, so I'll
be working on this. Arc's also done some follow up work on Dan's python
implementation-as-spec.

None of this means we couldn't still use help from other volunteers, of
course!

FWIW,