[theora-dev] theora.org website proposal

Arc Riley arc at xiph.org
Mon Feb 23 09:53:54 PST 2004

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:58:11AM -0300, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
>
> It would be better to finally leave the eternal alpha state and achieve
> bitstream freeze before this, don't you think? IMO holding this because
> of the formal spec is hurting Theora for more than one year. No one
> could finish the python spec, and no one wants to work on the HTML one.
> Is it sensible to insist on holding beta status and bitstream freeze for
> this?

I think that people need to see that there's progress.  Applications
which use libtheora need little to no work upgrading to Beta down the
road, so showing the public "look, these already support it!" would not
only encourage other media player groups to add support, but also show
that there *IS PROGRESS* and we are going to reach Beta-1.

Also, I think the website would benefit from a "roadmap", showing things
that have already happened and what is remaining before Beta-1 release.

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 09:36:19AM -0800, Ralph Giles wrote:

> However, through the generous support of fluendo.com, I've got some
> funding to complete the spec and get us to a frozen bitstream, so I'll
> be working on this. Arc's also done some follow up work on Dan's python
> implementation-as-spec.
>
> None of this means we couldn't still use help from other volunteers, of
> course!

Speaking of which.  I've started a "Help Needed" section of OT for
various Xiph projects to call-out for volunteers.  Are there any
specific Theora-related jobs that still need doing?  Ie, webmaster, HTML
spec documentor, win/mac porter, etc?