[theora-dev] one-line fix reduces distortion

Arc Riley arc at xiph.org
Sun Feb 8 14:11:55 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 04:59:24PM -0500, Timothy B. Terriberry wrote:

> That line was actually correct until you broke it in your most recent
> commit (encode.c v1.16), which I, at the least, was under the impression
> was just libogg2 changes. Please try to keep commits for different
> things separate in the future. It's also helpful if you maybe specify
> bug report IDs or provide URLs, so some of us have a chance of figuring
> out what you're talking about.

You should subscribe to the CVS list.  It contains diffs for every CVS
commit.  I looked over the related code for a few hours and, as far as I
could tell, this was a mistake.  In the sorting routine which it is part
of why is the previous value not reset?

Before committing I verified that it did not break bitstream
compatability (if it changed the format it would not be able to
playback) and didn't do anything obviously horrendous.  If the routine
in question is not suppost to be reset, I'd be interested to know
why.  For a sorting routine this seems extremely atypical behavior.

libogg2 changes, with exception for the examples, has been finished for
about two months now.  Apparently I was the one who was mailed the
patch because I was the last to modify encode.c.

I'm encoding for a side by side compairison now to verify that the
change reduces intraframe distortion @ same bitrate, which just by
eyeing the results of the post-change it appears to.