archives/Re: [theora-dev] First steps towards a simple text stream format.

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at telia.com
Sun Aug 10 04:15:31 PDT 2003

On 10 Aug 2003 12:33:25 +0200
David Kuehling <dvdkhlng at gmx.de> wrote:

> As someone who frequently works with multibyte character-sets, I just
> want to emphasize how important unicode (whether UTF-8, -16, UCS or
> whatever) is.  People tend to forget that there are non-european
> languages, and even for european languages, the chaos crated by
> ISO-8859-1 up to ISO-8859-15 is extremely problematic.

Indeed. I'm just lucky to live in an iso8859-1 zone (sweden) but the
vast majority of the world does not.

> PS:  I didn't know that elvish is now part of unicode ;-)

I was of course thinking of creating an ENGLISH subtitle for when they
speak elvish, since I don't know elvish.

However, after some research I found that the elvish language is called
tengwar, and exists in the ConScript Unicode Registry
(http://www.evertype.com/standards/csur/), and is apparantly up for
consideration for the real unicode. Much to my surprise, there appears
to be no IANA registration for tengwar so specifiying the language would
be difficult. But that's ok, Klingon exists in CSUR and is and IANA
registration, and as long as the Klingon empire is kept happy, earth
will be safe :)

// Philip Jägenstedt