[theora-dev] Status?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Tue Oct 1 22:38:43 PDT 2002

Arc wrote:
> What's the current status of VP3/Ogg integration?  The CVS doesn't seem

It's alpha stage - what that means can be read in the FAQ on
www.theora.org. Basically, it comes down to this paragraph:

"Q: Can I use Theora to encode stuff right now?

A: Yes, but we strongly, strongly recommend against it, for  anything
but test-cases. This is not a full release in any sense of the word, it
is simply a milestone, and if you start encoding things right away,
there's a really good chance that it will break when you try to play it
with tools we release when the final version is released."

Not trying to slow down your enthusiasm here, just don't have any bad
surprises. :) The final release of Theora is scheduled for somewhen
around June 2003, and starting at some point, I expect upwards
compatible beta versions/release candidates.