[theora-dev] Simple player and encoder binaries for Windows

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Wed Oct 30 07:02:58 PST 2002

Yes, as I mentioned before there is no trace of optimization going on at
this time, since theora is still alpha. It is unfair to try to compare
performance with other codecs at this stage.

This said :) I ran some simple tests on my machine, which is a fast Athlon
XP 1900+. Even at the current stage the simple player can decode audio and
full DVD-quality video (720X480) at very acceptable rates. I can decode 125
seconds of  this high resolution source material in about 38 seconds on this
setup. To compare, the sample code that blits the pixels to the SDL surface
takes more cpu time than the whole decoding of video and audio. Even with it
enabled I can still decode the same 125 seconds source in about 80 seconds
or so, so there is approx 30% cpu left.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini
Tabuleiro

> Please do not assume anything about the performance of VP3 from the
performance of Mauricio's sample code.  Such assumptions would be wildly
inaccurate, for reasons Mauricio has already explained.