[theora-dev] Simple player and encoder binaries for Windows

Eric M. Kidd Eric.M.Kidd at Dartmouth.EDU
Tue Oct 29 08:28:49 PST 2002

--- Stephane wrote:
VP3 codec uses a lot of CPU for decoding. We will need some optimization
because now this codec is way too slow for home uses.
--- end of quote ---

Actually, the Windows VP3 QuickTime codec runs just fine on a 400MHz Pentium II box, with only occasional glitches on some dodgy Celeron systems.  At work, we routinely test 320x240 full-color, full-motion video on low-end boxes.  At 300MHz, VP3 displays some glitches; at higher speeds, most systems are generally fine.  (The VP3 QuickTime codec uses the native assembly code supplied with VP3, not the much slower C code.)

Please do not assume anything about the performance of VP3 from the performance of Mauricio's sample code.  Such assumptions would be wildly inaccurate, for reasons Mauricio has already explained.

Cheers,
Eric