[theora-dev] Boring but useful VP3/QT patches

Daniel B. Miller dan at on2.com
Fri Jul 19 07:50:27 PDT 2002

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Ralph Giles wrote:

> On Friday, July 19, 2002, at 02:42 AM, Daniel B. Miller wrote:
>
> > It seems like I need some option to get patch to use the 'Index:'
> > commands.  I looked at the man page, it goes on about how patch tries to
> > derive the filenames, but I am still confused.  Any help would be
> > appreciated.
>
> Try it from the toplevel of vp32/ without the -d?

I'm pretty sure I tried that, but will again.

>If that doesn't help,
> I'd just insert the changes by hand; it's not a big patch.

No problem.  I'm just trying to wrap my head around the art of using
GNU tools on MSVC projects, which is a new combination of
flavors for me.

> FWIW, I was a little nervous about that one. the *.<build-file-ext>
> additions are reasonable, but things like 'Debug' and 'Release' looked
> like they could conflict with later files/directories. Eric, can you
> explain for us non-windows folk where those files come from and what
> they are?

Debug and Release are just the dirs where MSVC puts binaries.  They can
always be safely deleted (contents as well as the directories
themselves), unless someone did something unimaginable like putting
something else into them (highly unlikely, and certainly not the case with
this code).  One can also modify the VC project to put the binaries in
another directory entirely, for instance one level above the root (we do
this for *some* of the subprojects in VP32; we could easily modify the
code to do it everywhere).

If you go into your project in the GUI, and select 'clean' from the
build menu, all contents of the debug or release directory (depending on
the present build configuration) will be cleared, for both the present
project and any projects that it depends on.

However if we're going to be using diff and patch extensively, it might be
smarter and safer to write some scripts to completely clean out the
directory tree of all MSVC intermediate files.  Or, at least come up with
some command line options for diff that causes it to only look at relevant
files (.c*, .h*, .r* etc)

Some developers I know use GNU for everything but actual compilation; ie.,
you can set up a project that uses gmake but invokes the MS command-line
compiler (cl.exe).  This should all work in a properly set up cygwin
environment, but it would take some effort to get the makefiles in order,
esp. in regard to funky MSVC flags to properly generate DLL's and such.  I
can't say how this would work on the MAC side, but it seems just as
feasible.  Obviously this would be a good step towards a fully GNU'd,
portable build.  Unfortunately, I'm not the one to do it (I have little
knowledge of standard makefile structure).

>   -r

 ___  Dan Miller
(++,) CTO and founder, On2 Technologies