[theora-dev] VP3/QT: Fix for QuickTime 6 GDI bug

Eric M. Kidd Eric.M.Kidd at Dartmouth.EDU
Thu Jul 18 14:16:42 PDT 2002

QuickTime 6 for Windows breaks the VP3 codec quite severely--if you turn on "Safe Mode" (which forces QuickTime to draw through GDI), you'll see a white or black screen instead of video.  This is logged as bug  #2111990 in Apple's QuickTime feedback system.  The fix is a classic one-liner, although it took me a long time to figure it out. :-/

Also attached is a patch to bump the codec version.  This is a pretty messy process, so I've also included a HACKING.txt file listing all the different version numbers, and what they (apparently) mean.

My employer is hoping to ship a codec built from this source code with one of its CD-ROM products.  So far, this patch has passed our in-house testing with flying colors.

In the future, would you like to receive one big patch file, or a number of "single-feature" patches?

Many, many thanks for all your help!

Cheers,
Eric