[theora-codecs] Call for bugs and suggestions

dan miller danbmil99 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 7 11:20:03 PST 2003

Hi Mauricio, and welcome aboard.

The main issue I am aware of involves QT6 on OSX.  I don't have an active setup so I haven't been
able to isolate the issue.  The complaint generally seems to involve low performance.  There is
someone at Apple who took an interest in this, I will attempt to dig up his email addr.

Other than that, I think the most important thing we can do first is to keep an up-to-date set of
ready-to-install binaries somewhere.  The official binaries are now kept at www.vp3.com/getvp3,
and require an email registration.  We should set up a link to somewhere on xiph.org and remove
the reg requirement.  I assume there's an equivalent place for Vorbis binaries?

--- Mauricio Piacentini <mauricio at xiph.org> wrote:
> Hi. I have volunteered some time to maintain the VP3 tree while theora is
> not final. So that's my first post using the official @xiph.org address...
>
> I would like to know what are the main issues people have today with the VP3
> codecs for QT and AVI.  In the near future this could prove very useful when
> it comes the time to work tools to transcode VP3 content into theora format,
> or simply to keep existing QT/AVI/DirectShow applications current and
> optimized for the latest versions of the APIs.
>
> I remember reading (maybe from Dan?) that there were some issues with VP3 on
> MacOSX and QT6. Are you guys seeing this? Any specific movies that I can use
> to reproduce and isolate the issue, so we can work on it?
>
> Please let me know how I can help and the main issues you are running into
> with VP3. If you guys also have other projects directly related to VP3 (like
> the DS filters) I believe it could be good to integrate these into our tree.
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> Regards,
> Mauricio Piacentini
> Tabuleiro