[Speex-dev] AEC seems to distort voice

Niels Werensteijn niels at teamspeak-systems.de
Mon Jan 10 01:57:50 PST 2011

Hi,

I've set up speex AEC in our application. The echo's seem to be
canceling, but the captured voice is distorted somehow. It sounds to me
like low and/or high frequencies are removed. This happens even if I set
my playback(echo) data to only zero's.

Is this "normal" for the AEC? As far as I understand, if I send 0's as
playback/echo data, the resulting data should be the same as the echo data?

My chain is like this:

1. get playback and capture data
2. down sample both to codec rate
3. do echo cancellation
4. do pre processing (using speex. The preprocessor also does residual
echo cancelling because i called
"speex_preprocess_ctl(m_pSpeexPreprocessState,
SPEEX_PREPROCESS_SET_ECHO_STATE, m_EchoState)")
5. encode and send data over network.

--
Regards,
Niels Werensteijn