[Speex-dev] Problem with VAD in preprocessor on iphone

Greg Lappen greg at lapcominc.com
Thu Oct 28 14:22:45 PDT 2010

I am attempting to use Speex in an iPhone application and running into an
issue.  I got speex to compile by following these instructions:

Next, I was able to record some audio and play it back.  I then inserted a
call to the speex preprocessor and am passing all of the audio buffers I
receive from Audio Queue Services (the iPhone/Mac audio streaming API) into
speex_preprocess_run.  The problem though is that speex_preprocess_run is
returning a 1 regardless of whether I am speaking into the microphone or
not.  There is this output in the log when debugging my program:

*warning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite*

Does this mean that VAD does not work at all in the processor in version
1.2rc1, or am I just using it incorrectly if I always get back a 1 (I
suspect it's the latter, not the former).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.