[Speex-dev] Speex development
lras at loc.gov
Fri Nov 12 06:20:56 PST 2010
And I would like to know if there is a way to invoke the resampler program with the Windows command-line version of Speexenc.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress 202-707-0535
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.
From: speex-dev-bounces at xiph.org [mailto:speex-dev-bounces at xiph.org] On Behalf Of Ken Smith
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2010 3:28 AM
To: Rasmussen, Lloyd; James Mbuthia
Cc: speex-dev at xiph.org
Subject: Re: [Speex-dev] Speex development
Basically, Speex is the brain child of Jean-Marc Valin, and from what I can tell, he has since moved on to other projects, though he continues to monitor this list. So no, it's not really being developed anymore. And what's out there really is good enough for a great many applications.
That said, there remains room for improvement, mostly in the pre-processor (the codec itself is very mature). To take a few known issues:
(1) The main codec doesn't have full fixed point support for all of its modes.
(2) The acoustic echo cancellation, in my experience, gives you real but far from perfect echo cancellation. (And a lot of theoretical work has been done in that area since Valin coded it up in 2005.)
(3) The VAD for the pre-processor needs to be rewritten. (The comments in the code describe it as a "kludge".)
(4) I've found that the AGC in the preprocessor can act rather strangely at times.
(5) The AGC in the pre-processor doesn't have fixed-point support.
(6) There are Java (JSpeex) and C# (CSpeex) ports, but they only implement the codec, not the pre-processor, jitter buffer, AEC, or any of the other parts of the Speex library. It would be great if someone were to port the remainder of the Speex library over to those environments.
I'm not really qualified to take on these jobs myself, but it would be great if someone else with the right background who wanted to make a name for themselves in this field was able to pick up where Valin left off. (To be clear: we're all very much in his debt.)
Email: ken at alanta.com<mailto:ken at alanta.com>
On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:02 PM, James Mbuthia <jmmbuthia at gmail.com<mailto:jmmbuthia at gmail.com>> wrote:
Just wanted to know, is speex still being developed? I was going through the manual and its dated December 2007 for speex version 1.2 beta 3. As far as I can see there doesnt seem to be any new versions since then, is there any development work on speex?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Speex-dev