[Speex-dev] herky-jerky audio

Jeff Ramin jeff.ramin at singlewire.com
Fri Nov 5 12:11:22 PDT 2010

On 11/05/2010 02:13 PM, Pascal Pochol wrote:
> Jeff,
>
>> I found the problem I was having (described below), and I'm now able to
>> hear the audio at the destination.
>>
>> However, the audio does not play smoothly. It has hiccups and jumps and
>> stops. I can't guarantee this is the problem, but it may be related to
>> delays
>> caused when the Speex2PcmAudioInputStream needs to process an Ogg
>> page header.
>>
>> Has anybody else had problems decoding speex that is being streamed? Any
>> suggestions as to how to fix this?
> We first used the speexenc speexdec sources which encapsulate into an ogg
> stream. Once that worked we decided to get rid of the ogg encapsulator
> altogether and keep only the speex stream data since we were in charge of
> both encoding and decoding. The sample code at
>     http://www.speex.org/docs/manual/speex-manual/node13.html
> is IMHO a lot easier than having to deal with all the ogg encapsulation if
> you don't need it.
>
> -Pascal

Thanks Pascal.

I would actually love to do something like that, since I do control both
ends
of the transmission. However, I need to integrate my new code w/
existing code
which uses Java InputAudioStreams (I'm using the jspeex library). There
doesn't
seem to be a way to configure the stream to exclude the Ogg header (short of
modifying the jspeex code, which I'd rather not do).

--
Jeff Ramin
Software Engineer

Phone Direct - 608.661.1172