[Speex-dev] Performance and Optimization

Greger Burman greger at mobile-robotics.com
Thu Jun 18 07:07:54 PDT 2009

The reasons I have posted these questions are: 1) To find out if Speex can
take advantage of SIMD extensions.
2) To maybe learn from someone with previous experience in optimizing Speex
for moderns x86 architectures before I set off trying all kinds of things on
my own.

See answers inline:
2009/6/15 Tom Grandgent <tom at grandgent.com>

> Why haven't you tried using release build with compiler optimizations?

I just haven't started with optimizing... yet.

> It's quite possible that the performance picture could be substantially
> different.  You might end up wasting a lot of time if you do much
> performance analysis or optimization on a debug build.

Yes, you are right and that is not what I'm doing.

> Debug build
> not only has no optimization - it also has extra checks that may have a
> significant performance impact depending on the code.

Possibly, but I have identified the most expensive functions. They are all
from the Speex dll. I believe these will remain the most interesting ones
also in release build with some O-flags.
Someone who is knowledgeable in these functions might know if their impact
can be reduced and what the best practices are.

> If you want to profile with symbols, you know you can compile a release
> build with symbols, right?  The CodeAnalyst documentation describes
> how to do that with Visual Studio.  (I've done it.)

Ok. thx.