[Speex-dev] encoding time

Maris Engineering mail at maris-ee.eu
Mon Dec 21 12:18:01 PST 2009

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 21:00:01 +0100, <speex-dev-request at xiph.org> wrote:

> Thank you for your product Speex. We want to use it in
> microcontroller  AT91SAM7S256 (48 MHz).

I'd strongly advice to use a higher performance micro. Let's consider that
you'd succeed in getting it working right after optimizations. The time
you want to add other speex features or other functionality you may run in
trouble again. It is perhaps worth the effort only in really high-volume
products...

In a non-OS environment I believe an ARM9 or perhaps a Cortex-based micro
with at least 150 MHz is the proper choice. For your information: it is
known that (even) ARM9 @ 400 MHz has difficulties when speex is operated
in a Linux environment (reference app: Linphone). And in a comparable
environment a real DSP chip like Analog's blackfin has proved to operate
without any trouble.

Rob