[Speex-dev] Microphone database

Thorvald Natvig thorvald at natvig.com
Mon Dec 14 12:00:13 PST 2009

Hi,

I'm currently in the bootstrap phase of compiling a database of impulse
headsets). With this, it is in theory possible to correct some of the
aspects of the microphones, processing the signal to be closer to that
of a studio microphone. The motivation is simple; no matter how
expensive and perfect my headset is, everything still sounds like crap
if the user at the other end has a $15 headset.

The current idea is detailed at
http://mumble.sourceforge.net/MicrophoneDatabase (along with a few
issues we could use help with).

Assuming the owners of the acoustics lab agrees, I plan to publish the
recordings under the BSD license along with some simple matlab/octave
code to create a inverse filter (and the C code to apply it at runtime).
If anyone here has some suggestions or ideas (or want to send us
headsets to test), I'd love to hear it :)

Best Regards,
Thorvald