[Speex-dev] VS2005 build stability?

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Fri Oct 3 04:02:09 PDT 2008

Alexander Chemeris a écrit :
> I hate to see every user do the same work, which can be done
> by a one user for everyone benefit. Every time VS projects become
> outdated, someone come up with a solution and this gets fixed
> very soon. I don't see why you should bother about this, keeping
> in mind you don't use VS - users of VS (me included) maintain
> them quite well, answer questions of other users and never
> blame you for VS build system breakage.

When was the last time all project files were up-to-date in a Speex release?

> These files are even
> located in separate directory! If you don't like this directory - rename
> it to .win32 and it will disappear from you 'ls' output. I'd say -
> do whatever you want, even cross-compile official windows
> binaries from Linux, but don't make your users upset by
> telling them they should do the work someone have already done.

It's not about seeing the win32 directory. It's about carrying 1MB worth
of files that a out-of-date more often than not when it takes just a few
minutes to create a new project.

> PS With cross-compiling from Linux there is a subtle point.
> Some users want to have static library, and some users
> want to compile for WinCE, which is easy to achieve if you
> have project files.

Again, consider when's the last time I had win32 builds on time for the
release. Not blaming anyone here, just showing how much of a mess win32
is to maintain in the current way.

> PPS And please, don't forget, that we need to compile
> two libraries (libspeex and libspeexdsp) and a good bunch
> of test/example programs.

Is it that much of a problem?