[Speex-dev] Speex realtime encoding/decoding "Real world" usage for Windows Mobile / Symbian device

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) lists at infosecurity.ch
Fri May 23 00:24:24 PDT 2008

Hi all,

i am not criticizing the technology itself, but the fact that from the
point of view of the implementator that need to make a technological
choice while selecting a codec to be used for a mobile multimedia
application, speex does not provide affordable informations on
"supported platform".

Without arranging a test bed with a lot of devices and spending a lot of
money i would not be able to know:

If i get on www.s60.com the list of Symbian 9 S60 3rd edition devices,
which have enough powerful cpu to do realtime encoding/decoding?
If i go on www.htc.com and get the list of their Windows Mobile based
devices, which have enough powerful cpu do do realtime encoding/decoding?

I know that speex can compile on Symbian and Windows Mobile but i am not
able to know on which "hardware platform" (running the 85% of mobile
device operating systems) it will work.

At the end of this most application developer for Symbian will choose to
use AMR because they are sure that "it work".

The only method i have to make such decision would be to spend a lot of
money in order to test it on several cpu/hardware platform.

While choosing the technology i am not able to take the "risk" of
selecting a technology that "run on symbian" but "run on ??? number of
device" and "run on Windows mobile" but "run on ??? number of device" .

That's my main concern while selecting speex and i think that the
community itself should make some effort (organized) in order to gather
data and test cases (in a distributed way) about "on which platform
speex run".

After my post i received some email privately stating about custom ARM
assembly enhancements  that give 25% less cpu power, while others are
providing suggestion to use the RVCT ARM compiler
(http://www.arm.com/products/DevTools/RVCT.html) .

Still, i am not able to answer my question and i am not sure whether
it's best to pay AMR royalties or invest and risk on free speex codec.

I would suggest to :

- create sample application doing benchmarking for
  - playing speex
  - recording speex
  - recording/playing simultaneously
  by using different complexity parameters.

- release binaries of the sample applications for Windows Mobile and
Symbian OS
  - compiled with GCC
    - for different cpu type
  - compiled with RVCT
    - for different cpu type

Then startup a community oriented project where people are able to
contribute by "uploading" log files of the benchmarking application.
We can leaverage community oriented website of Symbian development and
Windows development in order to have a lot of people testing the sample
application on different devices and uploading their log files.

What do you think about this approach? (it's just an idea eh...)

Regards,
Fabio Pietrosanti