[Speex-dev] newbie qs - can one implement speex for Google Android?

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Fri Apr 11 20:03:39 PDT 2008

On 12/04/2008, Anil Philip <goodnewsforyou at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Anil Philip <goodnewsforyou at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  see http://code.google.com/android
> It would be good of members from here will step in and offer google help to
> implement speex.
> Without exaggeration, android will transform the mobile world.
>

> Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com> wrote:
>  On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:58 PM, Anil Philip wrote:
> > I recommended in a bug report that the new mobile platform - Android
> should
> > use speex and it was accepted. I was wondering if I can use it as a 3rd
> > party library even now. Can someone please tell me how? The JSpeex project
> > has had no activity for almost 3 years and questions are unanswered.
>
> Is Android a Java application? Because if it's not, you should use
> the official C library instead of JSpeex. You can find more details
> at //speex.org

Android provides Java SDKs, but the underlying media libraries are in C/C++:
http://code.google.com/android/what-is-android.html

The M5 release contains support for Ogg Vorbis (.ogg):
http://code.google.com/android/migrating/m3-to-m5/m5-api-changes.html#media

so perhaps patching the build to include libspeex is not technically
difficult. Of course it'd make more sense to access libspeex through
VoIP apps than just through the generic MediaPlayer interface.

cheers,

Conrad.