[Speex-dev] speex frontend - trouble encoding

Raymond Grote musicalman1 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 2 18:28:14 PDT 2008

Hi,
Newby with Speex here. I'm having some problems with the frontend.
I downloaded the speex frontend, extracted it, put speexdec and speexenc 1.2b2 in the directory. Then I encoded a file (16KHZ, mono) using the following commandline:
-w --bitrate 16
My goal was to get a 16KHZ 16kbps nice-sounding file. While the original file was 7184KB, the spx file was 125Kb, and it sounded horrible. Bitrate was way too low. I tried -w --abr 16 as well, doesn't work. Changing bitrate in the commandline doesn't help. VBR works perfectly. Am I missing a file, or peramitor in the commandline, or both?